When our eldest moved up from her first car seat to her latest, the Britax Dualfix, we did a lot of research.
After all the online research we decided that an extended rear facing seat was the safest option and was the kind of car seat that we wanted to get. However it is very difficult to visualize these seats online. We therefore decided to go to the In Car Safety Centre in Milton Keynes, which specialize in car seats and have a really big range of rear facing seats. We needed to make an appointment to ensure that we got the care and attention that we needed. The service was excellent they talked us through the features and benefits of the car seats and then we selected a few to try in our cars.
The Britax Dualfix was the clear winner for us. It had a really good safety rating, as well as having extra functionality that we liked.
- Various reclining functions: The Britax Dualfix seat is suitable from birth, although you cannot carry it around with you or put it on any wheels.
- Removable cover: This is very handy and some of the car seats don’t come with this functionality and would be a nightmare to clean. The britax Dualfix is very easy to clean.
- Swivels round: The Britax Dualfix can be both forward and rear facing and this is probably the most important feature for us. Although for safety reasons we have not used it forward facing we alwayds swivel it to the side when getting my toddler in and out. This makes it really easy to get her in, even when she’s throwing a tantrum. I’m not sure how you would get my daughter in a rear facing seat when she’s resisting as you don’t have the angle to work with. However with the Britax Dualfix you do.
- The Britax Dualfix will only fit in a car with Isofix. Having said that it is the safest way to install a car seat. However if you need to change cars you have to have one with Isofix fittings.
- The Britax Dualfix is pretty heavy and is probably not suitable for frequent changes of car or for carrying inside with a sleeping baby.
- the Britax Dualfix is reasonably expensive and as a rear facing seat it is only suitable up to 18kg so you would need to buy a new car seat sooner than if you went for a forward facing seat.
All in all I have to say that the Britat Dualfix is a great car seat for us. Our toddler has the tendency to resist getting into her seat and with the swivel function it makes it that bit easier to get her in. Once in the seat she seem to find it very comfortable and we are safe in the knowledge that it is one of the safest car seats we can get.