It’s our eldest daughters second birthday tomorrow and we’ve finally decided what we’re going to do.
We decided very early on that we weren’t going to have a birthday party this year. She’s still too young to really enjoy it and she would probably get overwhelmed. Instead it’s just going to be my wife, my 4 month old daughter, my parents and myself. We have most of the day planned out, but it’s all going to be about what our daughter wants on the day.
- Have a nice breakfast and try and eat together. Recently we haven’t had our breakfast together as a family that much, often my wife is feeding our youngest whilst I give my eldest her breakfast. Otherwise I’m looking after the youngest whilst my wife has breakfast with the eldest. So tomorrow, on her birthday, we are going to try and have breakfast together. In addition we will probably try and give her a bit of a treat for breakfast rather than just her normal porridge. Maybe pancakes if she fancies it otherwise some nice fruit for in her porridge.
- Open and play with presents. Although there are only a few of us here on the day, we have already received other presents from family and friends to give to her. this is in addition to the presents we are getting her. There are therefore a lot to open. We will probably only bring a few out at a time so she doesn’t get overwhelmed. Any she doesn’t want to be open can be saved for the afternoon or for another day.
- Have a cupcake with 2 candles in. As there are only a few of us there tomorrow we have decided not to make a big cake, but to have some cupcakes instead. We are intending on making a cake to share at the local toddler group on friday, where all the children and adults can sing happy birthday to her. She loves cupcakes, or fairy cakes, as she calls them. She also normally like making them, but we have decided to make them ourselves this time so it will be a surprise tomorrow to get them.
- Go out for lunch. Although not normally a fan of chain restaurants. We will probably go to Frankie and Bennys tomorrow as they do have a good childrens menu and usually make children feel very special on their birthday. As it’s a treat for my daughter rather than us as parents, this is probably where we will end up.
- Have an afternoon nap and/or play with presents. With a bit of luck our daughter will be tired out, but not overtired and she will have a nice nap. After that she will be able to play with her presents till dinner time.
- Chinese for dinner. For dinner we are planning on having a chinese meal. We have peking duck in the freezer and will probably make a sweet and sour dish as well as some prawn crackers as she absolutely adores those.
- Normal bedtime routine. We will give her a bath and do the normal bedtime routine, although we might give her some new pyjamas and/or a new duvet and duvet cover.
Thoughts and feedback.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this, although I’m not sure if we would make many if any changes at this late stage. I’ll also write a follow up post in a few days time to let you know how it went. The main thing is that our daughter enjoys herself and I’m sure that by having a special day with just a small number of people she will.